SportsTech startups will help fuel the Victorian and Australian economic recovery as the nation emerges from the COVID-19 pandemic, says Victorian state Innovation and Digital Economy Minister, Jaala Pulford.
Global accelerator, Startupbootcamp has launched its Sports & EventTech startup cohort in Melbourne, all working to revive sports and events industries ravaged by COVID restrictions and lockdowns.
The digital Demo Day saw the ten startups showcase their technologies – driving new revenue streams and finding cost efficiencies for sports and major events around the world.
The Sports & EventTech program, based in Melbourne, has been forced to go completely digital amid the pandemic and cancel live events.
Jaala Pulford, Innovation and the Digital Economy for the state of Victoria, which has undergone some of the most severe lockdowns in the world, says innovation will be important for the state and Australia’s economic recovery more broadly.
“These startups will help Melbourne remain at the forefront of global innovation, keeping us the sporting capital of the world,” she says.
CEO of Startupbootcamp Australia, Trevor Townsend says the startups are well positioned to meet new opportunities and challenges in the post pandemic economy.
“We now have better startups, better technology and far more support for entrepreneurship than ever before and this will all be essential for a sustainable led recovery and for succeeding in the new world we are emerging into,” he says.
Melbourne, Lord Mayor of Melbourne, Sally Capp says the city sits at the nexus of the global sporting and startup sectors.
“The importance of sport to Melbourne’s prosperity, economy, global relationships and our wellbeing and inspiration as a community can never be underestimated,” she says.
“With 2800 active startups, Melbourne is in the world’s top 5 fastest growing startup ecosystems.”
“This innovation and technology will ensure that Melbourne remains one of the great startup cities of the world.”
Sports & EventTech startups
● Benchvote is a digital campaign creation platform to engage fans, activate brands, and capture leads.
● BindiMaps is an app for indoor navigation (so just like google maps, but indoors) that everyone can use, but is optimised for people with vision impairment.
● FlipTix sells brand new tickets to new fans for the remaining time of events, when fans leave early.
● Floteq Technologies is leading solutions driving quality in the food and beverages industry.
● Friends of Mr Ed is radically improving racehorse ownership via a personalised and intuitive mobile app called ‘Fred’.
● Globatalent is a sports platform where you can invest, trade and support your favourite clubs and sports idols.
● Humense allows you to spectate and participate amongst the players for your favourite big matches.
● IntelliCUP is a quick, hygienic and cashless beverage dispensing system that reduces waste, increases profitability and provides unprecedented levels of merchant and consumer data.
● SportsCube helps brands sponsor sporting clubs. A marketplace revolutionising sport sponsorship.
● Trendii is an AI-powered fashion and product discovery platform.